Windows and Roof Retrofit on my Geodome Greenhouse
On my last video, Dome Entrance Retrofit, I fixed the problem of a leaky door. On this video I tackle the problem of leaking windows, and decided to make a pop top roof for better ventilation during the summer.
The new roof and windows (and door) are wrapped front and back for better insulation. Controlling condensation is the biggest problem in a greenhouse I've found. We'll just have to wait and see how this works once fall and winter gets here.
The umbrella like pop top roof 'popped up' nicely, but it would move around with even the slightest of breezes and it would never sit straight. Wedging wooden supports between each of the 5 top struts and the 5 roof struts would work as long as the top was up, but would have to be removed everytime the top was let down. There was a lot to not like about this. It took me a while to get to my simple solution, and that was to use paracord tied to eyehooks on each of the 5 struts on the pop up and the roof. The knot I used is called a 'midshipman's hitch' and makes a knot that will slide and lock. The video should make all this clear.